Since the second world war, hedgerows have been removed at a much faster rate than they have been planted. This is due in part to making space for larger vehicles and mechanisms often used in modern farming. Hedgerow removal has been identified as a factor in the decline of many plant and animal species which benefit from the habitat and source of food these plants created. To give these creatures a helping hand, we have developed three hedge mixes.
Mammals, insects and birds all love the shrubs in these mixes as they provide food and shelter. A hedge can also create a natural screen to block unattractive views, create a shelter from the wind and even help reduce noise levels.
You can choose from the following hedge packs, with either 15 (3m) or 30 (6m) trees per pack:
Standard hedge mix:
- Pack of 15 -3 x Hawthorn, 3 x Hazel, 3 x Crab Apple, 3 x Dog Rose and 3 x Dogwood
- Pack of 30 - 6 x Hawthorn, 6 x Hazel, 6 x Crab Apple, 6 x Dog Rose and 6 x Dogwood
Traditional hedge mix:
- Pack of 15 - 8 x Hawthorn, 4 x Blackthorn, 3 x Dog Rose
- Pack of 30 - 15 x Hawthorn, 9 x Blackthorn, 6 x Dog Rose
Horse and livestock-friendly hedge mix:
- Pack of 15 - 9 x Hawthorn, 2 x Hazel, 1 x Field Maple 1 x Dogwood, 1 x Dog rose, 1 x Silver birch
- Pack of 30 - 18 x Hawthorn, 3 x Hazel, 3 x Field Maple, 3 x Dogwood, 2 x Dog rose, 1 x Silver birch. These are non-toxic to horses and livestock.
Estimated full-grown height:
Hawthorn: 15m, Dogwood: 10m, Dog rose: 1.5m, Silver birch: 15-20m, Blackthorn: 6-7m, Hazel: 10m+, Field Maple: 20m.
Purchase size and growth:
These trees are cell-grown saplings, ranging from approximately 15cm-60cm in height. Cell grown trees can be planted all year round in most situations as long as they are given the correct care. Please be aware that depending on the time of year you receive your saplings (particularly early spring) they may not look very perky upon arrival, but once they have been planted they should pick up quickly.
UK & Ireland Sourced and Grown (UKISG):
Every sapling we provide is UK and Ireland Sourced and Grown to minimise the risk of importing and spreading tree pests and diseases. Seeds are collected and stored in the UK and Ireland, and they are all coded and batched so that we can track each individual tree.
More information about the trees in this mix is available in our A-Z guide to British trees.
Please note spirals and canes are not included within these packs. Purchase spirals and canes separately in our accessories section.